View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Suggest me a Vanguard index fund? Should I even put money in..?

I also don't plan to wait until 59 1/2 to retire, but I'm still maxing out a Roth every year because I also have other savings that will bridge the gap between retirement and 59 1/2. I am putting 10% into my TSP (including government match), for one thing. I need to double check this, but i believe that at age 55 I will be eligible to take "substantially equal periodic distributions" or whatever it's called. Right now, I am not saving money for retirement in taxable accounts because all of my extra money is going towards a down payment, but in the future I will be saving money in three accounts. 10% total will continue to go to my TSP, which will be available at 55. The max will go to a Roth IRA each year, from which earnings will be available at 59 1/2 and contributions will be available whenever I need them. The remainder of my savings will go to a taxable account which will be available whenever I want to get me through to age 55. Just because you plan to retire early doesn't mean you can't benefit from a Roth. You just have to determine how much money to put into each type of account so that your timing works out.