View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: very simple preflop spot from sunday mil

in my experience the element of button versus blinds presents itself that way at this stage of the tournament (inside bubble im pretty sure), whereas a random sunday million opponent isn't as likely to adjust shoving ranges from different positions (read: cutoff shoving over mp opener far less likely to be light).

when the table conditions have presented hero's image to be significantly more loose and aggressive than what would be deemed standard for hero, imo hero needs to call wider. this scenario only presents itself imo in button and blind confrontations in a tournament like the sunday mil. i just base this law of averages into making your call, since you just got to the table and cannot determine how loose or aggressive your opposition is.

im assuming you're into the money a fair amount, so it's just that element where youre at that stage of the tournament where there's an inflection point between "survival" and "accumulate" for the random sunday million satellite qualifier. they see their 20bb stack at this stage in the tournament and decide that now they are effectively on a freeroll, and as such will start playing significantly more wreckless than their standard "fold to cash" strategy.

were you to be before the money bubble, or at a stage in the tournament where there were <100 left, then you could adjust your image and allow yourself to fold more, as in those stages imo people tend to tighten up as the utility (or value, i guess) of the pay jumps are greatest at this stage.

100-500 inside the money, its a significantly different opponent mindset that involves saying "fk it, ive made my $500 from this $3 satellite investment, i'm way content busting at this point because then i could have dinner, fk this bigstack trying to push me around, lets see if you can call me SUCKER".

at least, this is the way i see it.