View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
Overall, I thought the book was very good. Various comments:

-Out of all the deaths, the two that struck me the most were Hedwig and Dobby. They were...so innocent! Those deaths were more important and meaningful to me than any of the wizard deaths in this book.

-I loved all of the history on Dumbledore and Grindelwald

-I HATE the way neville killed the snake, seems too contrived to me. He charges Voldie, doesn't get killed, somehow pulls the sword out of the hat, even though the goblin stole it...and then just kills the snake? It's all too much for me.

-Neville being a leader just doesn't fit imo. I understand she wanted to give him some limelight...but it just doesn't jive with everything we know about him.

-I'm ok with the Snape/Lily thing, though it may be a stretch to imagine that he loved her THAT much, given that they didn't really have a relationship...similar idea with Harry/Ginny.

-With the book revolving around wands, I really thought Voldemort's wand needed to be a horcrux. I don't really like the 4 houses idea.

-When McGonagall first stated that Hogwarts would defend itself and put up a fight, I felt a gigantic rush of excitement that I cannot describe. THe thought of Hogwarts being under seige and fighting back...an awesome image in my head.

-I actually felt upset when Harry and Lupin had their spat...I love Lupin as a character, and it was kind of "painful" to read

-I'm not terribly pleased with the Happy Ending. I think alot of this series has indicated that Harry cannot lead a happy life, and I wish that would have been displayed somehow. If she wanted to keep Harry alive, I think he had to become a very tortured soul, not lead a happy life.

-Alternatively, I would have been happy with both Voldie and Harry dying.

-For a man touted to be so smart, I really felt that Voldie was made way too dumb in this book. I mean...he doesn't know when any of his horcruxes are gone, he ends up being tricked several times, not the least of w hich is Harry being alive right in front of him? For the past 6 books, this wizard was supposed to be incredible, a mind reader, intuitive...but yet makes so many mistakes? It just kind of shatters the whole image I have of him.

That's it for now, I'm sure I"ll think of more later.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly!

I really hated the happy ending, at least make harry a tortured soul like Frodo or something if you're not gonna kill him of