View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

I have always told people in bands that they should find interviews with you for a good idea on the way the recording industry works. That and watching the Hanson film that actually has negotiations and fights on film between the record company and the band. (Talk about burning your bridges!)

The White Stripes seem to have sparked a 7" revival in the UK which continues to grow. When record companies switched to CD's it was the techno and house kids that kept turntables alive. It seems to me the way to get kids to stop downloading is to present them with a keepsake (something like the gatefold albums of the past that we would shake our seeds out of on, er I mean, look at and pass around). CD's just don't have that feel, regardless how anyone feels about the sound.

By presenting people with something they can own and dream on as well as the music is the way to bring vinyl back. Thoughts?

Prince just released his new album in the UK as an insert in a Sunday paper (I don't think he's done anything good in 12 years but love this concept)- he got a million for it (and didn't have to wait years to get paid) and 3 million were sold in one day.

Should a band today consider the different forms of distribution and not just labels or do you think that isn't important? With newspaper and magazine sales plummeting frankly if TIME OUT had a special cd issue in which you picked music you liked I would buy several copies. How do you feel about this?

Have you ever heard any mashups of your work? (Don't worry I don't sell them or post them online). How do you feel about this?

Thank you for being honest.

"The modern day artist refuses to die!" - Eric Satie

PS- would you cheat at strip poker?