View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: U.S. businesses accept pesos. Immigration hawks go nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nowhere did I claim that illegals are the majority of people using the Mexican pesos. What I am claiming is that having businesses except Mexican pesos as payment makes it easier for people from Mexico that enter the country illegally. I think the reason is obvious but maybe not.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to the OP's article, you can get pesos exchanged at a bank already so whatever effect there is on the ease of getting here is probably negligible. So when republicans whine about things like this, it's difficult to not to ascribe other motives like xenophobia. and more difficult to take the complaints seriously.

And if the 'illegals' aren't a majority of the people using these programs, why the hell do you care? Should 'legal' people not be allowed to do something because it makes things easier for 'illegals'(another dubious assertion; why would people who want to appear legal run around flashing pesos?)?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I love your post here BCPVP, particularly because you keep putting "illegal" in quotes. Anyone who uses the word illegal as a noun should have their intentions questioned, and any use of the word "illegal" as a noun should be put into quotes to demonstrate how such a use is an assault to reason.

The obvious racism and dehumanization involved in this debate should be clear, given the right's Orwellian redefinition of people who cross an imaginary line without documents as somehow being immutably "illegal". The not-too-subtly coded argument here from the right is, of course: don't worry, we can round up these people in trucks/trains and deport them, or put them in camps, or let them die in the desert trying to climb up our 50 foot border wall. Who cares, they're not real people, they're "illegals".

Again, I really like Richard Tanner here: it's as if people who use the word "illegal" as a noun aren't even trying to hide their xenophobia.