View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: AC closing in on Vegas?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I deem the article absurd based on your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the article is absurd, it's based on its own information that I quoted. Regardless, I could see the possibility of the gap closing even if investment in LV > investment in AC. Just the fact that there would be several Vegas-quality properties much closer to people on the east coast could steer a lot of tourists to AC. In effect, each incremental dollar of investment in AC could have greater ROI than in LV. This is because new investment in AC is signficantly improving the experience, where in LV, it is just adding competition to a market that is closer to saturation. But more importantly than whether AC actually can catch Vegas or not (I don't expect it to), it does look to be becoming a more attractive vacation destination, which is good new for us east coasters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said the article was absurd, not your post.

The $11B number was off the top of my head, I must've recalled the state number. Las Vegas itself was about $9B. You have to remember that Vegas is more than the strip. There's the Strip, the Boulder Strip, Downtown as well as the Stations properties. The NGC website has all the detail.

And while you are certainly correct that there's a chance that incremental construction ROI in AC is likely a little higher than in Vegas, it's nowhere near double.

Assuming the $10B number over 10 years in AC is correct, compare that to Vegas. City Center will end up near $10B alone when it's done. $4B for Echelon, $2B for Fountain Bleu, $4B for the Plaza, $2B for Encore, $3B for Pallazo and I'd be shocked if MGM doesn't develop that large plot at the north strip within a decade, let's call that another $6B that may or may not happen (all numbers by recollection off the top of my head). That's $25B for sure and as much as $30+B. As I said above, there's just no way that AC gets that much higher ROI. It's impossible. If it was possible, the investment number would be a lot more than $10B and projects like Pinnacle's wouldn't be on the backburner, they would be fast-tracked.