View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: a question about cuba

[ QUOTE ]
ok, americans can't visit cuba. why is this so good?
is it fear cuba would get millions from americans (i guess the fear americans would get infected by communistic ideas couldn't stand once they see it) or is it something else?

i believe tourists bring ideas/demands/desires/needs/etc from the other world and when people would realize that it might speed up the process of decay of their system. am i wrong here?

although, their regime would have much more problems and castro would probably allow visits in their resorts only IMO.

i might be wrong, but it seems to me this is good for US administration, somehow good for castro, somehow bad for americans and very bad for cubans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically speaking, I don't think it's that we 'can't visit' Cuba, it's that we can not engage in any type of financial transation or assist them financially in any way (crappy paraphrase of the policy). If you showed up with a Cuba stamp on your passport (Cuba will either not stamp your passport or stamp a piece of paper I believe for US passport holders) lots of questions would arise as to how you got to and from the island, and survived on the island, without egaging in any financial exchanges or whatever but I do not believe it is against the law to be there.

I think that's the way it is (in additon to press and other ppl that can get permission to go), or at least was several years ago when I looked into going there.