View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Donking into the raiser, *theory*

[ QUOTE ]
put two bullets in your gun, and carry a third in your pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

love this analogy. this could make for an awesome discussion. may this thread not die for a while! nh bobbo.

i took everything in as i find it a very interesting, and all too common situation. however, the reason i've been reluctant recently to lead into the PFRer is because, the PFRer, often recognises this and raises leaving me with a decision. Is he bluff raising cause he knows I'm trying to take control of the pot size? Or, is he raising because he really does have the g00dz!?

an example which has troubled me recently:

eff. stacks $400 (2/4NL) 6-max. std. table.

MP/UTG+1 (regular TAG/SLAG) raises to $14 > BTN just calls > and I complete with J10s in BB.

flop: 3910r

so i'm thinking, "okay, TP, but i still don't reeeally know where i'm at with 2 left to act".

i really try to mix this up typically. sometimes i will lead for 2/3 pot, sometimes (and more frequently recently), i'll c/r, and sometimes i'll c/c. i'm more interested in the lead and the c/c. let's say i lead $32...

as i said, what do you typically do if the PFR raises to, say, a hundy? is he bluff-raising because he knows i'm donk-betting with a weakish-made hand? or, does he really have a hand?

i suppose the tl:dr question is, what's your typical move, in such a hand as aforementioned, when the PFR raises you on the flop or calls, for that matter?

i reluctantly fold giving him the benefit of the doubt usually unless i've got a good understanding of my villain...

i may have answered my own question but i suppose tl:dr (part II) is, it feels that, more often than not, any donk-bet i make is raised and i end up hating my PF play let alone my flop play!