View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Why do I suck at poker?

I'm not a top notch player by any means, but what I have discovered is that the edge is very small, especially since the UIGA was passed.

This means you have to be on your toes at all times and have every skill and tool available in order to win. The small edge can be easily wiped out from lack of concentration, watching the tv or surfing the net while playing, not profiling all the players, not constantly practicing reading hands (especially when your not in a hand), keeping up with pot odds, etc, etc, etc.

As a result, I primarily play tourneys, because like you, grinding out at the low stakes doesn't offer enough of a reward to keep me focused whereas tourneys keep me in line because if I'm not on my toes, I'll be eliminated but if I do play my best I have a chance at a really nice upside with the added benefit of a lower downside.

Do you like playing tourneys or sit n gos? If so, do you tilt there too?

My tilt factor has decreased incredibly since my goal has has changed from winning the pot (which I still want to do) to always trying to make the best decision (ie always put my money in good). I understand that if I make good decisions winning will follow.

I can't control the cards but I can control my decisions.

I also think you have to read, read, read, study, study and study some more. Some of the posts these guys make in the strategy forums blow my mind and I have to read them several times just to begin to understand them.

Playing good/great poker IS HARD!

Like you, I consider myself above average intelligence, having always been able to learn and excel at anything I've put my mind too.

However, I never feel as dumb as I do when I play poker and try to keep up with the guys who are really good at this game.

I think people assume that because the game appears to be simple, they can easily excel at it. What most people never realize, is that in order to be really great, you have to work your ass off FOREVER!

You can never stop learning because you will never arrive and just be able to play on auto-pilot.