View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: 100NL, KK and confused about c-betting

i don't understand why people get so hung up on only getting called by better hands. the bottom line is, if you can make a bet that shows a profit, that bet is better than dumping your hand, period. the only time you should really worry about scenarios where you allow your opponent to play perfectly is when you are debating between a line which involves raising and a line that involves calling.

lets say you are playing against in this exact hand against an opponent who has a vp$ of 100 and the magical ability to make perfect decisions at every opportunity. he folds to bets when he is behind and he raises when he is ahead. do you dump your hand on the flop because you'll only get called by a better hand? no, of course not, because there are so many worse hands that you're still making something out of betting, and something is better than nothing.

it is also not true that no pfr is going to check out with top pair. i do it quite often when i have top pair with a marginal kicker. i do it quite often, because i'm going to call as opposed to dumping my hand. in that situation, those concepts actually apply, because i'm passing up a + for a bigger +, as opposed to passing up a + for a 0. i think most strong players have the ability to play marginal hands in the dark from time to time as opposed to dumping them or playing them like blanks.