View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Help me start a cover band

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really think it's possible to actually make money in a cover band, once you factor in the hours spent practicing and money spent on equipment, but w/e.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not trying to make a living at this. Just my mortgage payment and some beer money. (I have a small house in not the greatest area) As far as hours spent we have practiced twice and plan on few more before out first gig. So maybe 15-20 hours at most. After that the gigs become our practice. And as far as equipment we all have been playing a long time and have everything we need.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in response to the person who was unsure of the profitability of a good covers band, we can often charge around £600 for a regular gig (3 in the band so £200 each), £1000 for big events or new years etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that your average cover band can make £600 a night? I think I need to move to the UK. Around here (Detroit) your looking at about half that for your average 3 set gig.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Maybe I worded my post bad but I seem to be getting people telling me to play popular music. I am aware of this. I don't plan on busting out the King Crimson or anything like that. What I was looking for was songs/bands that have been popular over the last 4 or 5 years. Stuff that they play on the radio way too much and that your average person would know. We pretty much have it covered up until the late 90's. I am just completely in the dark as to what is hip since then. Any more ideas would be appreciated.