View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Computer Programmers solve checkers.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're getting a bit mixed up.

The reason checkers is so easily solvable is because it's a complete information game, with basic rules. The total permutations of the game is huge though, so most of the problem was having access to the computational power to solve the problem.

Tic tac toe is much more solvable because from any state the total permutations are relatively small.

Poker is incomplete information, this means you can't apply the same algorithms to solve the game such as you can apply in tic tac toe, or checkers.

The algorithm they used to solve checkers was probably the min-max algorithm or some deviation of it, and if you look at how the algorithm works you will soon understand why poker is a completely different problem area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not getting mixed up. I do know the difference between perfect information and imperfect information games. Despite the fact that poker is an imperfect information game, heads up poker is quite solvable as shown by mathematics of poker. Maybe its not solvable in the sense that it is 100% winner but it deinfately sets you up to be inexploitable.