View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Biggest Waste of Talent Poll:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering why you have this obsession with insisting Bias was going to be just another player. You keep throwing out stats (which do tell part of the story), but have you read what so many people have had to say about him? We are talking about quotes from Bird, Coach K, and people who were NBA general managers at the time of that draft. Everyone has said he was a sure thing, can't miss NBA star. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a lifelong Celtics fan who was in high school in Nothern Virginia when Len Bias died. Believe me, it was tragic. BUT, as beloved as Bias was, he wasn't regarded as nearly a great a prospect as Joe Smith was ten years later (and the Lefty Driesell era at Maryland was bigger than the Gary Willaims era, despite the national championship). He might have been a great NBA player, he might have been average.

And by all accounts, it was ONE night of binging, not a habit that killed him. Similar to a fluke car accident or something. Really hard to call it "wasted" talent, at least by the definition this thread seems to be proposing.