Thread: Crossfit FAQ
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Crossfit FAQ

I don't know much about weightlifting.

But a push-press is a different exercise than a military press. This is unaffected by someone untrained or tired cheating at a military press by recruiting the lower body in the fashion of a push-press. So I do not accept that a push-press is to a military press as cheat curl is to curl.

Secondly, the crossfit total is a simple metric for strength utilizing a lower body push, an upper body push, and a total body pull-- and your complaint is that if they really believed in functional strength it would be a lower body push, a total body push, and a total body pull? I'm assuming you see the absurdity of your position by how I've phrased the question. Also, you've latched onto a form of argument that is merely annoying in an adolescent.

As for kipping pull-ups, I'm prepared to believe that they have significant empirical evidence to support the position that kipping helps more people gain more strength quicker than dead-hangs and that people with small to mid dead-hang numbers show great improvement in their dead-hang numbers by kipping-- I accept it because of all the chicks doing 15+ kipping pull-ups and all the testimonials from people who started at zero who can now get 20+ kipping and ~10 dead hang. Someone with a high deadhang number probably isn't gonna get any boost from kipping instead requiring specificity, but he won't lose his deadhangs and will be able to crank through workouts with a higher output of power by adding the athletic/gymnastic kip to his arsenal-- as well as take a stepon a progression to various gymnastic movements.

I could go on, but as I said, I'm even more ignorant about weightlifting/fitness that I am about so many other things.