View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Help me start a cover band

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really think it's possible to actually make money in a cover band, once you factor in the hours spent practicing and money spent on equipment, but w/e.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. My crappy cover band made 10k in 2001 and we sucked and played dive bars. I'm sure it's tough to make enough income to survive but I don't think that is the OP's goal. A good cover band can pull decent money, but it depends a lot upon the music scene in your area.

As far as music goes I think you'd be wasting your time playing music that people don't know or can't dance to. The songs that I enjoyed playing the most were rarely the ones that got people dancing.

My advice is if you are going to be a cover band, cover songs that people know the words to, can dance to, and get played on the radio, and play them as close to the original as possible. Nobody wants to hear a cover band play obscure music or try to put their own creative spin on popular songs. If people wanted that they wouldn't go to see a cover band in the first place.

Cover bands are definitely looked down on by other musicians, but don't think that you can find some middle ground that will appeal to everybody. If you're going to be a cover band, do it right.