View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: NL 25 J,9 flops two pair

[ QUOTE ]
This is just a tough hand, particularly if you don't know how this person plays. I tend to error on being conservative when I'm first learning the table. The last thing I want to do is sit down to a table and get involved in a hand with a guy who hasn't played in the past 90 minutes.

That said, I think your first mistake was raising pre-flop with this hand before you know how the table plays.

Since you don't know how this guy plays, you really don't know what kind of a hand to put him on. Looking at that board, there are all kinds of possibilities that have you in trouble. Clearly any K-J or Q-10 have you nearly in jail. Pocket nines is also way ahead of you. Pockets jacks as well, but both of these are less likely since you hold one of each in your hand. Tons of possibilities for straight and flush draws.

Basically there are a lot of legitimate hands that are ahead of you, and a bunch more that are not very far behind. Add all that up and your bottom two pair aren't the greatest holdings.

That flop and his pot-sized bet tells me that he has a fairly good piece of it, because you were the pre-flop raiser and that board has probably hit you somehow. Once you raise him, he has to know that it hit you...and what does he do? He calls.

His initial bet on the flop and his call of your raise are two big red flags.

At this point I'd be very concerned that he has you beat. When he called your raise he's either a really bad player, or he has you absolutely crushed. This is solidified with the all-in on the turn. Pre-flop and on the flop you showed that felt you were ahead. A smaller than pot-sized all-in bet shouldn't chase you away if you really believe that. So then, you have to ask yourself, why is he doing it?

The raise on the flop was okay if you did it to find out where you were in the hand. The problem is that he told you, and you still didn't listen. If you aren't going to listen to their response to your bet, I'd recommend keeping the pot as small as possible and just calling him on the flop.
Again, I think the biggest mistake you made was that pre-flop raise before learning the table.

- Flyboy White
My Poker Bankroll Challenge
http://potcommitted-buildingthepoker....blogspot.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks really good reply I think you are nailing it