View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: How should we deal with the unanswerable?

[ QUOTE ]
Bunny,
How are science and faith not polar opposites? Just because religion can be useful and logical does not mean it is evidence based. When the idea of heliocentricity came around, scientists followed the evidence while religious people protected their idea of the truth. Are you saying that atheists have faith that there is no god or they have faith in what scientists tell them? I disagree with these statements. How is it a false dichotomy?

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree with those statements too. What I believe is that it is possible to have faith and to still be scientific and rational (I think that description applies to me). I agree that it doesnt happen much - many people are irrational in their faith or in their defence of religion. Similarly, there are many examples of people denying scientific validity because the new claims contradict the tenets of their religion. I consider this irrational, but not necessary as a believer. I am comfortable being a believer who doesnt know for sure. I have faith, but accept that in the face of scientific evidence contrary to my religious beliefs I would probably abandon my religious beliefs rather than my belief in rationality.

The short version being I think it is possible to be a rational theist - so I think people of faitheople of reason is a false dichotomy.