View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Default NL10: Loose cbet turns into a monster, but the river = death card

I'm not too happy how I played this hand, mostly because of what I did on the flop. I based my actions on my image rather than the board.

Situation:
I'm pretty new to the table (less than 3 orbits). Villain in this hand is involved in many many pots. He's limping a lot, and calling raises.

He appeared to call flop bets, and occassionally min raise them with unknown hands (he didn't show any down). He also loved to min bet when no one else bet with any piece.

This is all the info I could get on him in about 15 hands.

The hand:
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $9.90
BB: $10.20
UTG: $9.90
MP: $8.55
CO: $8.90
Hero (BTN): $10.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, CO calls $0.10, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.50</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.15) 3 A Q (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.80</font>, CO calls $0.80

Why am I cbetting this flop? It's pretty darn coordinated and my hand will likely not be good if I spike a T or J.

Still I decided to cbet because this was the 2nd time I raised preflop (first time I check/folded when I wiffed with 44 on an 98J 2 tone board in a 3 way pot).

I didn't want to make him think he can call all my raises preflop and expect a check unless I hit the flop hard.

Turn: ($2.75) K (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.50</font>, CO calls $2.50

Sick, I hit my miracle. One of my 3 clean outs landed for once. Initiate hands + pants = profit mode.

River: ($7.75) A (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets all-in for $5.10</font>, Hero [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Pretty much a punch in the face here. It was one of the few cards I didn't want to see. So many oddball hands now crush me.

Still I'm getting pretty good odds to call. Does he have trips often enough here to insta call this?

I found it hard to believe he'd shove the river with trips given the board is one of the scariest boards you can ask for. On the other hand, he has been playing a ton of pots but I haven't seen him check/call large bets then shove the river yet.