View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Heads Up Home Game Tournament

I have run 2-3 sixteen player Heads Up tournaments per year for the past 3 years, and I can share with you my format which has not failed me yet. The most important thing is securing the 16 spots because if your players are like mine, a last minute cancellation can ruin your night (unlike a regular game) so I find it very helpfull to bring in an alternate or two. We play 10 minute blinds, each round lasts 1 hour max. 4 rounds ends it in 4 hours, if you want 5 hours, make the rounds 12 minutes (we have in the past). If you are used to starting with 10K, keep it that way, so do we. I also REQUIRE all of the 16 partisipants to bring an extra $20 (or whatever you like) to play in the consolation tournament, because after 1 hour, half your players are out, so have an extra game ready for those 8, plus any spectators or alternates that did not get used. Make a COOL tournament board. It is fun to fill out during the event so spend $2 on a nice big board. We also get a trophy, but thats how lame we are. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

our blinds: (T10K)
100/200
200/400
400/800
500/1000
1000/2000
1500/3000 (it should end here at the latest)

I have always felt that with 10 minute blinds, timely shuffling and dealing, and that rate of increase, nobody feels rushed and you see plenty of hands to remove the crap shoot element.

Hope that helps.