Thread: ME pay-per-view
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: ME pay-per-view

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a DVR but there is not enough room to record the entire event, which I would like to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can record this to directly to DVD?

Is there a DVR I can go buy with a built in DVD recorder so I can record it directly to DVD?

Other ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like the easiest thing would be to either break up the broadcast (they do have breaks, including a long dinner break, during which you could turn off the recording) or, as someone else suggested, copy the Turning Stone broadcast onto a DVD, thus freeing up room. But I don't have a TIVO-type DVR, so I am not sure whether it is possible to do either of these things.

If it is not OR if you want an excuse to buy a new toy, there are plenty of DVD players which can record from your TV onto DVD disks (as opposed to the DVR's hard-drive), which is what I have been using to record stuff. They have gotten pretty cheap, probably something around $100 for a low-end Wal-Mart version. Just make sure you get the right kind of DVD disks -- there are a lot of different formats (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW etc.) and not all of them work in all machines.

If you do, you might want to format a couple of disks in advance because it can take a couple of minutes to format the disks. Last year, I had two disks ready, formatted to record 8 hours each. I switched disks during one of the breaks (during which they showed reruns of previous ME final tables which I already had) somewhere around the seventh hour.

Oh, and one more thing: when you are done recording, finalize the disk. I didn't do that with the live Monte Carlo tournament, and about three days afterwards, my old DVD player broke. Because the disk wasn't finalized, it could not be read by the new DVD player I bought to replace the broken one. So now I finalize a disk as soon as it is finished/full. (Kind of like backing up your work -- if you don't do it, your computer WILL lose it.)

[/ QUOTE ]

very helpful

thx