View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Time to buy a new set of clubs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't go get "custom fit" for clubs - go to a demo day where cleveland/taylormade etc is fitting, and get clubs fit for free.

Or, go pay $30-$40 to have a pro fit you for clubs. Remember what they tell you and then use that info to shop. You don't have to buy from the people who fit you.

And 1300 is more than enough for irons+woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check around and see which brands are setting up demo days locally.

Which brands would you recommend? Is one generally any better than the other, or should this be something I discuss with the person who fits me?

Thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to read some reviews online. Then a golf superstore place is alright since you can usually hit a variety of clubs, get a feel for how a number of different clubs look or feel. A demo day is a great idea. It is a big decision since you will likely be playing with these clubs for years to come, so take your time. If you don't feel comfortable with the sales staff/level of expertise, take your business somewhere else.

I might also suggest not ruling out a set of used clubs. If you want to start getting serious about the game this might give you the opportunity to save some money, then upgrade to something after a year or two as you get going.