View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: NOOB PLAYING THE 530 SUNDAY TOURNEY, WHAT IT DO??

[ QUOTE ]
What about playing KQ in utg+2 or QJ in MP?? In a cashgame I'm always raising those hands unless there's a maniac behind me. Raise it? Fold it? Does the stacks matter? Also, do you guys steal a lot or not very much?? Is this player dependent? Like to me it seems that everytime its folded to you on the button or co you should steal but whatever, is this correct?

I do you know if you should not steal a guy? I'm guessing if he's good or a calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early on when the blinds are small, KQ and QJ are garbage hands. As blinds get bigger, their value increases.

As a tournament noob, I would recommend playing very tight. As the blinds start to get uncomfortable, wait for 2 decent cards and shove. Rinse/repeat until you feel more confident that you get the gist of tournament play. If you play tight/shove, you'll fall somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as participants.

As far as stealing, don't bother early. The stacks are too deep against the blinds and everyone and their brother is giving/getting implied odds. Raise with good hands, fold the trash. Later, you'll open up your steal range quite a lot because you're in a battle against the ever increasing blinds. But, pay attention to stack sizes in the blinds. Shorties have to raise their calling range a great deal out of desperation (and are often pot committed with any 2 cards.) Tighten your steal range against them as a result.