View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Green Party for decentralization?

My apologies fore the use of Universal Health Care as an example. I was about to leave for a plenary meeting as I wrote that post. I will try and be more exact as to why the Green Party does not want to join the libertarians.

1. We are a party with our own set of ideals that do not mesh with the other non republocrats. I tried to use health care as an idea...but I don't know the full extent of what the party believes on universal health care. I know we have passed resolutions about what we support in the past but I don't feel expert enough to comment on those right now. Other issues like gun control or any social program in general. The green party thinks they should exist...libertarians don't.

2. We have been hard at work building our own party structure. Putting out a conglomorate 3rd party candidate would have no chance of winning the support of the base and no chance of improving out organization.

One thing people may not think of is ballot access. Some states require insane signature requirements to just get onto the ballot. We have fought hard to get the ones we have and want the presidential election to expand those current ones. If we all combine for a candidate we can not be assured that our ballot lines would be secure or even if they would improve for the next election if we were to get the 5% needed.

3. We use the presidential election as a means to improve local parties. We are not delusional and think we can take the election in 2008. Our main goal is to get the 5% to open ballot lines across the country for the party. Another goal is for the candidate to travel the country and improve state and local green parties as best they can.

my computer battery is about to die...i'll try and respond to some more stuff later if anyone is interested.