Thread: Chess books?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Chess books?

From my own experiences from novice to tournament player, there is much I'd like to say on this topic, but here are some of my thoughts:

-I found Yasser Seirawan to be a very lucid author. I recommend his beginner's book series which focuses on tactics, openings, strategies, and annotated games.

-I agree with the notion that tactics are by far the most important aspect of the game for untitled levels. Daily tactical drills will help you stay sharp, and will improve your results noticeably. Start with themes such as Forks, Pins, Skewers, and do a set of tactics for each. There are countless software resources and sites that will help you in this area.

-When studying openings, start with something simple like the Two Knights or Four Knights defenses. Later on, you can explore more ambitious semi-closed openings like the more complex Sicilian lines. Right now, just focus on developing a solid opening game, and learn how to stay out of trouble. Don't obsess too much with learning too many separate opening lines and traps.

-Learn basic endgames as this is very important. Learn how to win in simple scenarios such as King & Queen vs. King, King & Rook vs. King, and the various King pawn endings.

-When studying games, I'd recommend sticking to open games at first, such as those played by Morphy. It helps if the player you're studying has a similar opening repretoire to your own.

-Save your games and use software such as Fritz to spot tactical errors, but do not fall into the trap of becoming too dependent on it. Think about the games you study and find other players with whom you can share your thoughts.

-When starting out, play longer time controls than faster ones. You need to develop disciplined thinking patterns, and too many blitz games may encourage bad habits. However, some claim that blitz helps train your tactical skills, and if nothing else, it is rather enjoyable.

-Be patient, improvement in chess comes rather gradually and the road is anything but a short one.