View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: PokerTracker: The Next Generation (NEW SOFTWARE DISCUSSION)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Q: what's the rough ETA on this project? Of course i understand that if u haven't even started coding it, u won't have a specific date for us, but just ballpark it. Are we talking 3 months, 12 months, 3 years? What?

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this thread...
And as a software engineer myself...
It's obvious that PT must be redesigned from scratch...
And targeted directly at PO and HM.

Even with several talented engineers...
And understanding that this is ONLY a poker tracker...
That is a minimum 1-2 year project.

After getting back into poker...
And buying the latest version of PT 2 months ago...
I was ** SHOCKED ** that is was virtually the same product I bought 3 years ago.

It's really like something out of the 50s...
And looks great with a lava lamp.

If they blink and just try to tweak it...
PT is dead... if it's not already waaaaay too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to keep in mind that a lot of code has already been written. Not everything will be rebuilt from scratch. A lot of lessons learned from the current PT and PA Hud software will save an enormous amount of time.

Also, while actual coding is still in its earlier phases, a lot of the design work has already been done for quite a while. This isn't a project that just popped up. Discussion and design as well as some coding began well over 6 months ago. Design is the hard part. Implementation is easier. Considering I have intimate knowledge in regards to most of the sites PT currently supports, implementation shouldn't take long.

It's not unreasonable to expect beta versions as early as 3 months. I hope for a stable release before the end of the year.

I appreciate every suggestion that we are getting. The further this project goes, the more I'm confident that every PT and PA Hud user and all potential users will be thrilled with the next generation.