View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Gross treatment of mentally ill

Mentally ill people are not dangerous. It's very rare for a schizophrenic to become aggressive enough to endanger someone.

The old forced, lifetime hospitalization system was horrible, rife with abuses and indignities the likes of which would make your toes curl. At least on the street they have the dignity and comfort of being free, and have to choice to take (or not) the toxic, emotion sapping anti psychotics that make them sick and fat and lifeless. Many of which are of questionable efficacy.

I think the solution to the problem is a system of halfway houses, where people have a room and board and staffing by several nurses, but most of the freedoms and rights of those in the community. Unfortunately the current medical establishment refuses to believe that anyone is treatable with their drugs, so people that refuse to take them under the current system would be booted out. I don't know about the costs of each option, but to me

halfway houses >> community with case workers > unmanaged hospital releases >>> asylums