View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: 1 Book to read for 2 months

[ QUOTE ]
I'm traveling to China and SE Asia.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The Great Railway Bazaar" and "Riding the Iron Rooster" are both books largely about Asia (though in both he starts in London and travels by train).

Both are very good, though I don't know whether it'd be better to read them before, during, or after the trip.

For example, I just came across this passage after opening "Rooster" at random :

"An eerie sight in Guangxi were the caves in those gray limestone hills. The hills had come to look like fat columns and towers, and the caves made them seem hollow. Later I learned that Guangxi is full of caves. Some are underground dripping caverns, but these above ground things - many of them at any rate - had been converted into homes. The strangest ones looked like gaping mouths, with white stalactites showing like teeth.
In a shallow pool among those towerlike hills there was a gray and white crane, the sort the Chinese regard as an auspicious bird, representing long life. The train startled the bird, and off it went,soaring and circling, as we runbled on through a painting of mountains that was being endlessly unrolled.
In the kitchen off the dining car, a young woman was scrubbing pots and singing in Chinese.
I know that you love me
I am waiting
But where do you want me to go? "

Lots of little things like that might help you find places you wouldn't otherwise; but the best part of travelling is usually ending up somewhere unexpected ...

Either way, I'm jealous; have a good trip.