Thread: Going to Japan
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Going to Japan

[ QUOTE ]
Wife and I are taking a 2-week trip to Japan next month. I've never been, don't speak the language and am looking for tips from people who've been. Some thoughts I have so far:

* We definitely plan to spend some time in Tokyo and Kyoto. Any other cities we should plan trips to? Any other daytrips that are worthwhile? How about good places to stay? Worth doing the "Japanese inn" thing?

* Restaurant/nightlife recommendations are appreciated. We're pretty adventurous when it comes to food and money's not much of an object, so fill me in on the balla places.

* Definitely want to catch some Japanese baseball while we're there -- it's one of the reasons we're making the trip. Besides the Tokyo Dome, any other must-see stadiums? What's the deal with those synchronized cheering sections? Any way I can get hooked up with one and make an ass of myself?

* Tips on places to see bizarre Japanese pop culture very much appreciated. If there's somewhere we can see the world's biggest Pokemon or something similar, I'm all about that.

* Wife is a karaoke fiend (she's good) and is psyched to be visiting its birthplace. Do they have places where you perform in front of the whole bar, or do we need to hook up with a group of drunk Japanese businessmen and get a private room?

* I realized we'll be in the country during the anniversary of V-J Day, and plan suitable American celebration. I'll definitely be wearing a Joey Chestnut t-shirt all day, but other suggestions (that won't get me jailed or deported) are welcome.

So help me out OOT. Trip report w/ pictures will follow when I return.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if they still have them, but I missed the last train home in Tokyo many years ago and stayed in a capsule hotel. Rather than rent a room, you rent a cubicle that's about the size of a spacious coffin; you have common-area showers and lockers and the like, but you sleep in a stacked cubicle. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but I'm glad I did it then.

Link here says they still exist:

http://www.links.net/vita/trip/japan.../capsulehotel/