Thread: Going to Japan
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Going to Japan

[ QUOTE ]
* Restaurant/nightlife recommendations are appreciated. We're pretty adventurous when it comes to food and money's not much of an object, so fill me in on the balla places.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't so much a place as it is a style of restaurant, but I would try to visit a robatayaki-style restaurant. Basically, the patrons all sit around a giant table, on which the ingredients for the food sits. The cooks stand in the middle, and when they get you order they grab what they need, cook it at a zillion degrees and hand straight toward you. Between the food and the waiters and cooks constantly shouting at each other, it's an experience.

Also? Sushi-go-rounds. They're kitschy, but in a good way.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the deal with those synchronized cheering sections?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen a game over there, but in Dave Barry Does Japan (which I also recommend) he mentions how he said "all right, Hara" at one point during a Giants game, without raising his voice, and hundreds of people turned around to see who said it. If you grew up in a Western fandom environment, you probably won't have to hook up with a fan group; you chance of making an ass of yourself are excellent anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have heard that going to a game is expensive, though, since the Giants (and other teams) are so popular. I'll bet you'll need to find a scalper to get in, if you don't have tickets already.

You should do the Japanese inn thing as well. Be aware you could very easily be the only non-Japanese there, since that's what vacationing Japanese do, so you might become a tourist attraction down yourselves. Don't let us down [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]