View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: NLTRN: When blinds are big, when blinds are small.

I play the $22+$1 turbos on stars. Here's my general strategy.

I tend to start off fairly passive, and try to encourage passiveness in my opponent. Unless I pick up a super premium hand early on, I won't raise from the SB or BB in the first four rounds or so. I try to encourage limping, so I can limp too, and keep pots small. I start to raise PF more after a few rounds, but nothing too crazy, and still try to keep the pots manageable. I figure this gives me a tight image, and can steal a lot more when the blinds get to 25/50. However, if I get caught bluffing too many times, or he seems like a calling station, I really tighten up, figuring I need a hand to play. Opposite is true, if I show down monsters or he's folding a lot, I'll keep up the aggression.

On the flip side, if he doesn't wanna go along with my "play nice" attitude early on, and raises a lot, then I switch gears. I have a "so this is how it's gonna be huh?" attitude, and do a range of things. Limp/raising from the SB, check-raising a lot more, and generally playing a lot more LAG. Suffice to say, these types of matches have lots of big pots, and tend to end rather quickly, haha.