View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: HSA\'s (Health Savings Accounts)

I have an HSA plan and work for a small company, I'm the controller and buy the policy and pay the premiums. We use United Health and they give us two options HSA vs traditional.

The insured is responsible for health costs up to 2850 and in return the company gets savings of about 820 in premiums. We pay that 820 savings to the employee's HSA account. The company cost is no different for an HSA employee or one with the traditional plan.

I opted for the HSA plan because I didn't use the health insurance much and it seemed like wasting money. I just need an eye exam, a dental appt, physical which the traditional plan didn't cover the eyes or dentist now I can use my HSA money to pay for those. My biggest risk was getting injured playing baseball (MSBL) which our league has insurance for those injuries.

The worst part of the HSA plan in my opinion is the family coverage. You almost pay per person for the policy but the deductible is for the family coverage policy is 5600. Seems like this amount is a bit too high given the additional premiums.

As far as investment risk. It seems since this money will need to be available in short period of time you wouldn't have this in equity mutual funds until you built up a few years premium.