View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Is religion harmful?

[ QUOTE ]

But what about someone who says it's possible but very unlikely given what he knows? What can you do to convince him that it's more likely than he thinks?

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can do is what I've been doing on this forum - provide arguments, point to evidence, answer questions. The Bible says that God makes Himself known to all, that the heavens are telling of the glory of God, and many other passages. All I can do is remind someone of what they already know deep down. I can't overcome unbelief.

[ QUOTE ]

I was saying that if you only have one source

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bible isn't really just one source, it's a collection of many books written over a long period of time by many different authors. There are many reasons to trust it which are too numerous to go into here. Other sources are what I mentioned above - arguments, etc. I've never seen the relevance of the argument that there is disagreement over the Bible. If you read it you would expect disagreement as the Bible itself talks about that subject. If it's God's Word it will be true, and it promises that you can come to know the truth.

[ QUOTE ]

Many people don't want to know and don't want to hear you out. But what about people who are on the fence? What do you say to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, what I've been doing on this forum. And there are many, many resources that will help with specific problems. You think the Bible has errors? There are whole libraries that deal with that issue. You think the Bible contradicts science? Again, I don't think it does but to show that can require much serious investigation.

Up til now in this thread I've been trying to show that the naturalist explanation is inadequate and irrational. If you can see that you've already taken the first step to admitting the possibility of miracles (defined as God's special intervention in nature), if you admit that you've admitted to God, and so on. In the end it's a question of faith - I can't give that to anyone, but God can.

I believe the Bible as a system, a worldview, fits the facts of experience and history far more closely than any other worldview. I think only on the concepts in the Bible can reason, morality and science be justified - that any nontheistic worldview destroys the possibility of knowledge. No atheistic system can justify reason, etc.