View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: 10 years after OK Computer...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't heard any band named "the next Radiohead" in years.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first two that come to mind right away are Travis ("Radiohead light") and Coldplay. If you mean that reviewers might have once made that comparison, but haven't in five or more years, ok I guess. If you mean that no such comparisons have been made, they're pretty widespread.

I freely admit that I didn't listen to all the songs listed, but it seems really stupid to say anybody reading the thread "missed the point" of the songs. Really? I don't understand why a band would cover these songs, or why these bands in particular would choose these particular songs? That's a pretty surprising comment from someone who doesn't recognize half of the bands and who doesn't like half the songs listed.

But maybe I completely missed every single significant aspect of the covers.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at your ignorance and hostility

Yes, I was saying no one has been called that in the last 5+ years. And the only people who ever thought Travis or Coldplay were ever going to be the next anything decent were probably NME, Rolling Stone, and the like.

And you missed the point because Steregum picked a number of bands that are all very different to play the covers. It's not that these bands did it freely and it's a compilation. And it's not that Stereogum picked these bands because they sound like "the next Radiohead."