View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Predisposition to liking things

I can tell you exactly why I hate ketchup--when I was 6, my parents forced me to eat a McDonalds hamburger that I hated. Traumatic experience and to this day, I won't even consider adding ketchup to my food.

But some of it is cultural. E.g., country music is portrayed as "hick" music. Because I don't want to be considered a "hick", I never listened to it until last year. When I finally started listening to it, it turns out I actually like it.

There are many people turned on to (or off of music) because of the way the music is stereotyped (e.g., rap music is for thugs, smooth jazz is for old people, boy band pop is for girls). So they won't even consider listening to the music. (E.g., I was in a car with a group of people. The driver, a 25 year old male, had the smooth jazz station on. A passenger, a 32 year old female, ragged on him the entire trip. She wouldn't even give the music a chance. To her, it was old people music and the 25 year old shouldn't have been listening to it. I actually like smooth jazz, so I was defending him.)