View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Re: non-profit stuff that is better than for-profit stuff

[ QUOTE ]

I've been to many for profit gyms structured the way your judo gym is structured. I currently do jujitzu at a forprofit place that has the exact same structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have brought this up in OP. There are definitely very good products and services that are produced for profit, however, if I do a search in los angeles for "brazilian jiu-jitsu" and a search for "Karate" I get 10x more results for karate. Guess which one is more effective, and more challenging?
Karate students are looking for the same thing that BJJ students are looking for, and they think they're getting it, but they aren't.

Standard dogma is that the only way for a business to succeed is to please their consumers. There are some markets where this seems to systemically not be the case. What % of karate students do you think would be pleased if they were in jail and their cellmate tried to rape them? My guess is maybe 10%. A BJJ student is going to break several of that rapist's bones, and sleep well with an intact bunghole like 90% of the time.