View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Predisposition to liking things

One of my recent thoughts has been about why some people don't like certain types of music, or food. I guess the reason I am quite curious about this is because I simply can't understand why someone can't like a perfectly cooked steak, a really fresh piece of fruit, a multitude of different foods, pieces of music, etc.

I am also curious since, compared to most people, I like EVERYTHING. I can't think of a food i don't like, and if I could, I would be almost positive that if i put some effort into finding someone who could prepare it well, i would like it; also, I wonder if my natural like of a huge variety of music comes from my study and interest in these musical areas and the way music is structured; eg studying pieces of classical music (and playing the piano), going to jazz clubs, or getting high and going to hip hop or rock concerts (and playing the guitar).

I guess this could also be applied to food since I am always thinking of the best ways to prepare fresh ingredients and also because of my relative affluence have been to many very very good restaurants.

What are your thoughts? Are some people just BORN to not really like a fresh apple? Or to enjoy wine? Or is it all just cultural (eg people of lower income might think they would never enjoy wine but if they were thrust into a culture that encouraged the drinking of wine, or if there was peer pressure, would they come to like it, as any other SANE person would?). I just find it weird that one person could be biologically programmed to not like a type of music; so is it all just cultural?