View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: poker and starcarft

[ QUOTE ]
Several of the best Warcraft II players are now poker pros as well, myself included. Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head :

Tillerman
INcinerate
Yah'mon
Nedrology
Ywfn.

It is obviously not a coincidence. Anyone with a background in strategy games has a great foundation for poker. There's no way I would be where I am today without that training ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any gamer who was decent at predicting his opponents behavior in a multiplayer game will have some edge over the random poker player because you will be able to *shock* predict your opponents holdings or plays given a situation.

Doesn't have a lot to do with whether someone played StarCraft or Quake3 for years on end - its the underlying similar aspect of the nature of the game that allows it to seem to "not be a coincidence"

StarCraft was simply a super popular game, so the course of probability means that there will probably be a fair number who are good at cards also - and there are probably a fair number who still play and would probably be great card players but have zero willingness to gamble.