View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

Just browsing the waiver wire in my league and I found two pretty good pitchers. My league is fairly deep, with 12 teams and 33 roster spots, so there's a good chance these guys are available in many leagues.

Josh Towers, Tor-Looks like a boderline every week starter at this point. He's somehow figured out how to K guys at a just above league average clip and his control is fabulous. His ERA is at 5.00, but should be closer to 3.85 with that Toronto D. Even if you take his relief appearences out, he looks like a flat 4.00 starter. He should be in there against all but the toughest lineups and any week when he has two starts regardless of opponents.

Scott Baker, Min-He's getting killed by the gopher ball again, but he's actually improved his GB/FB ratio to 1.00. It had been below 0.80 coming into the year. His K rate is 8.3% better than league average leading to a 7.1 K/9, and his control is stellar again at right around his career rate of 2.0 bb/9. Running his numbers through the formula comes up with an ERA of 4.37. This is someone you definietly want on your roster and start when he has two starts or the matchup is favorable.

FWIW, I've only got one roster spot available and I'm going to jump on Baker. I like the idea of the higher ceiling and I need those few extra Ks as opposed to a little ERA. If Towers is still pitching well and available in a couple of weeks after Jennings rolls through his easy schedule, I'll think about swapping them out.