View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

Wow! I've never seen a league that makes you play your outfielders in position. That increases Sizemore's value even more.

I feel you on the middle relievers. What do the hold standings look like in your league? I'm trying to get a better feel for that category. My league just doesn't seem right. We added holds in my league in 2005. The first year, only a couple of us realized the value of those pitchers, so it was easy pickings. Even then, the leaders underestimated their value. In 2005, there was one team in the 40s and three in the 30s. Then last year, the league made a slight adjustment, but not enough. Three teams made it to the 40s, with the leader being 7 more than the prior year, and two more in the 30s. I was still relying on websites for my formla at this point, so that's key to remember. This year, I did all the math myself and was suprised to see that if the league were efficient, middle relievers would make up about 40% of the pitchers. It seemed as if the league finally made a real adjustment. We expanded from ten to twelve teams, so that was a factor. Every team was drafting two or three of these guys, and some even four or five. Then, lo and behold, they didn't start them. I'm looking at two teams in my league that are already in the 40s and are about to pass the record for a season. By no coincindence, they are in 11th and 12th in saves, including one who punted saves from the git go. Then I'm in third with 30 on my way to about 45. Then there's another drop off to a four team bunch in the low 20s. We've got three teams that have punted and aren't going to make it to ten. That just doesn't seem right. By my math, the norm should be around 30. Instead, the median is 23 and the mean is 19. Still not enough and a very exploitable hole in the league.