View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
midseason brag / strategy update:

sold high on ordonez, have a bunch of great relief pitching, am running good with my starters and have been lucky to avoid major injuries.

i am looking for ways to improve my current lineup and am wondering about moving manny for either a SP or a top-flight SS. i just got tulowitzki and he could end up being extremely valuable at SS so i'm leaning towards going after a SP. this is all contingent on luis gonzalez being consistent and manny not tearing everything up in the 2nd half (i don't think he will).

anyway, 6x6 standard roto adding holds and OPS, here is what i have now:

C Mauer
1B V Martinez
2B Utley
3B A-Ram
SS Tulowitzki
LF Manny
CF Sizemore
RF Drew
UTIL Frank Thomas

Bench: Zimmerman, Luis Gonzalez, Brendan Harris, Mike Cameron

my hitting looks pretty [censored] sick right now although drew still makes me a little nervous. but if he and mags are in line with 2nd half projections he isn't much of a downgrade and i turned mags into grady sizemore so that seems like a no-brainer.

my pitching is ok - my bullpen pwns and my SP is meh

SP: Maine, Lowe, Vasquez, Maddux, Randy J, Sean Marshall
RP: Saito, Okajima, Accardo, Heath Bell, R Betancourt, C Villanueva

since we count holds, all of those guys but accardo is among the top 10 in RP so far this season.

so right now i am thinking i should

-drop cameron and look for a RF / UTIL type guy on waivers instead
-think about selling high on maine
-possibly move mauer since he's allegedly going to be bothered by that leg all year
-maybe move manny for a SP or a SS

any thoughts on these ideas? i'm in 3rd out of 12 with two guys a little bit ahead of me and everyone else way back. so far i have been struggling on offense (runs, RBI, HR) because a couple guys have been underperforming, but after bringing in sizemore i have high hopes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first thing I'd do is insert Cameron for Drew. He's better.

I would definetly move Mauer or Martinez. Basically, try to fiugre out who's going to fetch you better value. Heck, you should be able to get a bat like Teixeira for one or the other.

If you're league is anything like the two I'm involved in, it's going to be tough to sell high on Maine. For some reason everybody thinks he's a fluke. If you can get an upgrade over Tulo, I'd do it. Or a top flight closer (K-Rod, Putz, Wagner, Nathan).

I don't reccomend trading Manny unless it's for a really big upgrade at short or an elite closer and a quality replacement in the OF. By quality, I mean a lot better than Drew or Luis Gonzalez. He might not be the old Manny, but he's still an elite offensive producer.

Mags for Sizemore was a big win for you.

Your worst pitcher is actually Sean Marshall. Maddux's defense and park help him out drastically. Depending on how many guys you can put on your bench, you can play matchups and two start pitchers. Vazquez, Maine, and Unit (when healthy) would be your every week starters. Cherry pick the best matchups and two start types from the rest. In fact, you could probably dump your entire bench (counting Drew, not Cameron) for quality pitchers. There are still a few on the waiver wire in my league, and we've got 12 teams and draft 33 players.

It looks like you need saves. Should be an easy swap of a MR for a closer. Okajima looks like the one with the biggest raitio of percieved:actual value.