View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

Alright, here's my opinions of some albums that have recently come out or are coming out soon:

Interpol-Our Love to Admire
After a few listens it seems like this album is only a little bit worse than antics, mainly because it doesn't have any album-making songs like Evil or Slow Hands (although I realize alot of people didn't like slow hands). The album also suffers from a few long, drawn out and frankly boring songs like the opening song and the closer that make the album uneven. Give us more of the quick-paced and escalating songs and leave off the pretentious five minute glaciers.

Architecture in Helsinki- Places Like this
Oh how I had so much excitement for this album. After In Case We Die and watching them completely upstage CYHSY in central park I really thought they could do no wrong. And that's not to say this is a bad album, because it's not. But what made In Case We Die so awesome was the different genres the band touched and the sense that the songs could change directions at any time. On a few of the tracks AIH tries to keep it basic with dominating baselines and sparse instrumentation. DON"T DO THAT AIH, I'm BEGGING YOU! In Case We Die was one of the most awesome songs I've ever had the pleasure of listening to, and it's because the song changes directions about a billion times to create this awesome roller-coaster ride of a song. More songs like "like it ar not" and less "Underwater" and this album would be better than In Case We Die.

Cliff Notes: everybody who likes AIH will enjoy this album, I just don't think it's on par with their last album.

Okkervil River- The Stage Names:
I was starting to get worried when after three songs there was no sign of the fragile songs that dominated black sheep boy. But I guess he waited until after he wrote the third song to break up with his girlfriend, because the okkervil river we all know and love shows up on Savannah Smiles, the fourth album on the track. I liked this album as much as black sheep boy, which is to say it's a great album when you're in an okkervil river mood (hope you guys know what I mean). The closing track "John Allyn Smith Sails" absolutely kicks ass.

Spoon- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
I've listened to this album the least out of the rest, just because i've had a ton of stuff to listen to. So while i'm not prepared to give this a really definitive opinion, what i've heard has been really good. I mean, who doesn't like spoon?

Animal Collective- Strawberry Jam
Everything you've heard about this album is true. It's an absolutely amazing album that deserves a ton of praise which I'm sure it will receive when it's released. Probably the most accessible animal collective album they've released, although that doesn't mean they've cut back on the random screaming outbreaks we're used to. I think they'll gain a lot more fans with this album, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them live in the fall.

I've still got a few more albums to listen to like the new Blitzen Trapper and Dizzee's Maths and English(wtf to no US release?), and still waiting on the new wolf parade and sunset rubdown cd's.