View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Have Prov. Patent, Need Prototype/Marketing Plan

It will cost you a bit to get a working proto. I wouldn't be surprised to have it cost 100K to build, troubleshoot, etc. Of course since I have no idea what the product is, I can't be sure. However, I would assume that (excluding your time) this thing would run 10K easy - less than that, I'd be impressed (especially if it's something that anyone would want).

For example, to get a plastic mold setup you have to have a large outlay at the beginning. For a simple part, these setup costs are usually 10-20 K, depending on the part. Of course, for your proto, you'd be getting it machined, and shop time is 200-300/hour for this type of stuff. You'll have to have a decent drawing or CAD to take to the shop otherwise the machinist's time will eat you alive before even turning on the power on his CNC.

If the thing requires electronics design, you'll have to send out boards and troubleshoot them.

I'd try to figure out what needs to be done to get initial testing going without a significant outlay of cash. Then, once you have something in hand, you might want to get investors to help you pay for the R & D. 1 year isn't a lot of time. Get cracking and good luck.