View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: how much are trees worth? dilemma

Let me first say that I think most (like 90%) of home contractors are scumbags, and I have many stories similar to yours. In fact, I have one just like it.

Oak trees, about 40 feet tall in my back yard that were clearly designated (through several discussions) to remain standing were cut down. I assure you, those trees are "worth" more than $4500. I paid my guys nothing, and threatened them with suing them for more (with *some* intent to do so, if necessary).

Suing them, of course, would be expensive for both sides, but possession is 9/10ths of the law, and it sounds like you still possess their payment. Keep all of it, tell them you're working with a lawyer to get more money out of them, and they'll either let it go, or offer up a settlement.

Trust me, these guys f*ck up so often that not getting paid is part of the deal. You're being way to generous with your intended offer.

Also, FWIW, when I had similar trees removed from another house, it cost about $1000 bucks and they were much more thorough.