View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Draw: The Best Play Ever...?

This is from a $1/$3 fivehanded draw game except I think there were only three of us. There was a limper on the button and I folded small blind. Big blind checked. Big blind took four cards. Button stood pat. Big blind checked. Button bet out. Big blind called. Button had card high. Big blind won with a pair of aces.

I think this hand has a crass mistake and a spot of brilliance. I am not enamoured of checking and taking four (it makes you too easily bluffable, ironically, and cite the late great Albert H. Morehead for this view if an authority is needed) and think it an error. The genius is that big blind recognised that button may have stood pat just to bluff him observing his weakness. Once four cards had been taken I think button played it just right (not that I am in favour of limping but as he had).

I cannot recall if button had a flush/straight/ace-king (yes even ace-king gets played) draw but he certainly changed his intention and stood pat for maximum impact.

I think it a brilliant but flawed hand somewhat akin to an old chess masterpiece played down a line now long known to be losing...

Tell me what you think!

If it ain't up to scratch posit a better hand that you know of.