View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Grasshoppah to Booh-Bah (And I\'m Certainly Not Done)

Pooh-Bah, my favorite title. I’ve come a long way since my 1st post asking about whether a certain all-in call was correct in a home NLHE tournament. I’ve learned a few things. Ok, I’ve learned a great many things. Am I done? No sir, no mam, no way, no how. Why just today I spotted 2 topics for me to look into, one of which is a leak, the other I need to better burn into my head. You burn one concept into your brain, find something else that could use some reinforcement, and burn that in too. Rinse and repeat. I have decided (obviously) to make one of those ceremonial posts to commemorate this event. I don’t think anything I could say hasn’t been said already, so I’ll present to you some of what I’ve learned in bullet form, loosely organized. If you can’t be new, be different.

<ul type="square">
LDO![*]Always keep track of the pot size.[*]NL is way different than Limit.[*]300-500BB in your bankroll is largely considered “safe”.[*]You may lose more than 300-500BB if you do not fix critical leaks, play on tilt, play above your stakes, or against opponents that you refuse to acknowledge are better than you currently are.[*]Downswings, slumps, variance, losses… inevitable.[*]20BB is not a slump.[*]Watch your opponents even when you’re not in the hand. This is important.

Tilt Control [*]Tilt is in effect when you make any play that you know better otherwise.[*]Not all tilt is created equally.[*]All tilt is bad.[*]If you missed your last 5 flush draws and assume that the next one will certainly miss too, that's tilt.[*]If you have made your last 5 flush draws and assume completing your next flush draw is definately going to hit, that's tilt too.[*]Replay the hands you lost from his point of view and see how much sense his play made. [*]Opponents that played smart can be adapted to.[*]Opponents that played dumb are borrowing money.[*]Don’t bluff opponents who don’t fold.[*]Don’t bluff opponents who can’t fold.[*]Just because you’re playing against a thinking opponent doesn’t mean he’ll fold.[*]Don’t overdo fancy plays.[*]Don’t do fancy plays just to do fancy plays.[*]Being aware that you have a negative emotion as you play and playing badly as a result is likely, but not necessarily the case.[*]If you can’t handle that, take a walk, take a break, take a hiatus while you calm down.[*]Have confidence, but don’t be arrogant. Just because you’re good doesn’t mean they’ll magically do what you want.[*]Multitabling without proper play is a great way to spew a great many bets, and tilt too.

Learning Poker Is A Hobby All By Itself[*]Some leaks are worse than others.[*]In a game where weakness is exploited, failure to recognize your weaknesses will lead to a world of hurt. [*]Focus on the spewy ones before those that refine your play.[*]Having a tight PF strategy is better than a spewy PF strategy as you focus on other things.[*]Tilt Control is very important. The more you tilt, the more of your edge you lose.[*]Always have an answer for why you make a play. This creates thinking, which is typically better than not. When you aren’t sure, find what the proper reasons and considerations are.[*]Study Small Stakes Hold’em[*]Study Hold’em Poker For Advanced Players[*]Study Inside The Poker Mind[*]ABC Poker is NOT easy.

Mathematics[*]Higher Pair vs Lower Pair (KK vs JJ) is a 4.5-1 favorite.[*]Pair vs 2 Higher Cards (JJ vs AK) is a 55-45 favotie. (Coin flip, tilt less)[*]Pair vs 2 Lower Cards (JJ vs T8) is a 5-1 favorite.[*]Pair vs Higher/Lower Cards (JJ vs QT) is a 5-2 favorite.[*]2 Higher Cards vs 2 Lower Cards (KQ vs JT) is a 5-3 favorite (Approaching coin flip, tilt less)[*]Flush draws you flop have a 35% chance of being completed by the river.

Forum Specific[*]Don’t underestimate the value of giving advice on other peoples hands. You learn a LOT from the experience.[*]Post your own hands if you have questions, but don’t spam the forum.[*]Converting your hand will get you longer, more meaningful responses.[*]There’s a reason we so adamantly shoot down results. They don’t matter and you shouldn’t focus on them.[*]Choose your play-alongs carefully.[*]Just because some one has a gazillion posts doesn’t mean you should take the advice as truth.[*]Just because some one has less posts than you have fingers doesn’t mean the advice should be discarded.[*]We’re all learning. If we weren’t we wouldn’t be here.

Misc[*]Kickers actually are important.[*]Just because the board is 2-flush doesn’t mean your straight draw is no good.[*]Just because the board is paired doesn’t mean your flush draw is no good.[*]Just because your opponent made a weird mood doesn’t mean you’re behind.[*]Equity is important.[*]Hand reading is important.[*]Not all opponents will think like you do.[*]Not all opponents will even think rationally.[*]Don’t slowplay vulnerable hands.[*]Many hands are vulnerable.[*]Don’t slowplay if they’ll call anyways. [*]Many opponents will call anyways.[*]Watch what people complete with from the SB.[*]Watch what people cold-call with.[*]You can learn a lot by watching what they’ll call 3-cold with.[*]Experience of knowing when you’re beat is good.[*]Experience to actually follow through with your read appropriately is better.[/list]