View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Can you tell me about working in legal recruitment?

I don't know specifically about legal recruiting but I know a lot about recruiting in general. My guess is you specialize in one type of law (tax attorneys, patent attorneys, etc.). It probably depends on the firm.

Being a recruiter is about making lots of phone calls, networking your butt off and making more phone calls. Knowing how a law office is structured and being able to "talk the talk" is important but ultimately your ability to sell is much more important than your previous interaction with lawyers. However, it won't hurt and will make it a LOT easier to get in the door with a decent agency (you have a compelling story why you want in the business). An agency with a good training program is essential and will help you out a lot.

Most positions in the states are straight commission or a small base salary plus commission. Most recruiters don't make much money but the top 20% make a LOT - it's kinda like Realtors. If you can make it and build a network it's a great gig - if not you'll burn out and likely not make it through your first year.