View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Different types of wealth

I am 37 and married with no kids, never having any. I go for 3 at the expense of 2 largely, and a bit of 1. I drive a car I bought for $900 3 years ago, and the only other toys I have are 2 motorcycles (his and hers) that I bought for $2300 total. I have no credit cards, and have never paid a car payment in my life. I also rent instead of owning a house because I have a killer cheap apt. that costs me about 60% less than the cheapest house I can find in Seattle city limits.

I would not consider myself wealthy, my income is not THAT high. But it is higher than the average and I do what can to keep my expenses down. I do save money but not as much as I could if I did not travel and have other "experience expenses". For instance, we are going to Maui in October and then Puerto Rico for Xmas. This will amount to several thousand dollars that could be invested. But I cannot face working 50 weeks a year and not doing things like this, I would go crazy.

Our longterm plan is to move more towards investments and stuff in a few years when (hopefully) we have more income. That might be the time to slow down on the travelling a bit. But we will do that in preparation for a later life that involves living overseas. We plan to move to a place with nice weather where our money will go further, hopefully buying a house with cash so our expenses are pretty low for our twilight years.

I think that people's family status will dictate pretty heavily where folks end up in the 3 types. 2 and 3 obviously being not as do-able for those with a lot of mouths to feed.

KJS