View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Default How to get preferred treatment in a poker room?

After reading numerous posts over the last few months on "regulars" receiving preferential treatment in a room, I am starting to rethink my approach, which has always been low-key.

Here is what I would imagine one needs to do to become a regular who has the floorman and most dealers giving them small but significant edges (such as quietly putting them in a game when there is a long wait, siding with them on grey area table decisions, etc.) :

1. Tip well. But (besides the dealers, obv.) who, how often and how much? I tip the cage a couple of bucks on the way in and out and give the dealers $1-2 per winning hand even on blind steals. I barely get thanked usually.

2. Play often. I'm a 2-3 times per month player, but move around so I'm only in the same place once a month or so. How often do you need to be there to be recognized?

3. Have good manners/call floor men and dealers by their name a bunch. Although, frankly, some of the regulars have the worst manners in the place.

4. Have a player card.

What am I missing? Being a regular seems +EV in other words and I am rethinking my under the radar technique.