View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: my harsh and life-changing introduction to the world of poker.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bankroll management is totally undervalued in poker. It without question is the difference between equally skilled groups of poker players, who make equally large scores, but one group always has money, and the other always end up broke. I think considering how crucial this is, alot more should have been written about it. It is just as important as playing well in the long-run. Most players don't even have an idea how large a bankroll is statisically neccessary just to minimize the variance of going broke, and that is if you are willing to drop down, which most players find difficult. There were some scary charts in the first Schoonmaker book I have always remembered. The amount of money you need to essentially eliminate the possibility of going broke, even with dropping down, was so large as to be completely impractical.

[/ QUOTE ]

if thats what he said i think schoonmaker is wrong but im not gonna break it down if you dont understand.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i have dropped out of uni for now. Don't have a "real" job however I am taking poker very seriously and am dedicated to becoming the best player I can be. I am playin nl200 currently using a 2k b/r which is working really well for me. Need to try and pay back some of my bloddy student loan! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You bring up an excellent point pokereader, I have many texts now and there is in all honesty very little advice on bankroll management and dealing with variance... something I have learnt the hard way!

[/ QUOTE ]

ok first off 2k isnt enough of a BR for 1-2 sorry. you will just bust again. get more cushion in BR before you take money out again and id say drop to 100NL if you dip below 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read your post, devil, and was about to post the same thing. I pla a mix of NL200-600, with an occasional 1000 table thrown in, and I have a 20k roll with more in the bank. Just be careful and try to build your roll as carefully as possible until you hit at least 10k, because right now you're quite under rolled and a quick hit of variance can ruin you again.