View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Hawai\'i Travel Thread

M2d,

I guess Reef is taking a posting break for a while. I'm not really one to reveal private info but he posted a while ago in some photo thread that he went to the same high school as my wife.

Deeznuts,

As I posted above, I think a fantastic day would be to rent a car and drive from Waikiki to Haleiwa. Eat at the Haleiwa Cafe, which has fantastic breakfast and coffee. I think they close early at 2 or something so it's breakfast only. You can then easily hit up a number of must-see places mentioned above by Reef and M2d - the north shore beaches (Waimea Bay, Pipeline, Sunset, etc.). I would also recommend going to 3 Tables and Shark's Cove for snorkeling. Hanauma Bay by comparison is famous and extremely tame - the fish aren't scared of you at all and will go right up to you. The snorkeling at Three Tables and Shark's Cove is not as extreme but much more like a natural situation where you are seeing "wild" fish, if that makes sense.

I'm assuming you're going in the summer here. I don't think it's been mentioned but in the summer the beaches that are world famous for big wave surfing have no waves whatsoever. It's very flat which is good for you if you just want to swim or snorkel. In the winter the big waves and surfing are amazing to see but unless you're a surfer there is more to do in the summer.

If you keep going around there are a number of places you can go that arne't must sees but will round out the day. The drive on the windward side is very beautiful. Laie point is pretty nice, though quick. Chinaman's Hat/Kualoa is a better stop. The mountains there are amazing and you'll recognize the area if you watch Lost or remember the Jurassic Park movies. If it isn't too late you could finish with the Pali lookout which is the only must-see in this paragraph.